Principal Investigator (2021-present). This study builds on the PI’s previously developed conception of “learning as Making” to envision a computationally enhanced mathematics curriculum. It will inform the “big picture” of how using computers might fundamentally change mathematical thinking, with an emphasis on mathematical problem solving (and more generally, STEM learning).
Funded by the Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, General Research Fund ($638,908 HKD).
For more info, visit project website: http://mathsdigitalmaking.com
- Ng, O., Chan, A., Tsoi, D., Law, M., Liu, A., Ho, T., Liang, B. (forthcoming). Integration of Programming, Problem Solving and Recreational Mathematics for a Computationally Enhanced Mathematics Education. SMN Newsletter.
- Weng, X., Ng, O., Cui, Z., Leung, S. (in press). Creativity development with problem-based digital making and block-based programming for STEAM learning in middle school contexts. Journal of Educational Computing Research.
- Weng, X., Cui, Z., Ng, O., Jong, M., & Chiu, T. K. F. (2022). Characterizing students’ 4C skill development during problem-based digital making. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 31(3), 372-385. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-022-09961-4
- Tsoi, D., Chan, A., Law, M., Liu, A., Ho, T., Liang, B., & Ng, O. (2022, February). Integration of Programming, Problem Solving and Recreational Mathematics for a Computationally Enhanced Mathematics Education. Paper Presentation at Hong Kong Mathematics Education Conference 2021/22.
- Ng, O., Liu, M, & Cui, Z. (2021). Students’ in-moment challenges and developing maker perspectives during problem-based digital making. Journal of Research on Technology in Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/15391523.2021.1967817
- Cui, Z., & Ng, O. (2021). The interplay between mathematical and computational thinking in primary students’ mathematical problem-solving within a programming environment. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 59(5), 988–1012. https://doi.org/10.1177/0735633120979930
- Cui, Z., Ng, O., Jong, M. S. Y. (2021). Integration of programming-based tasks into mathematical problem-based learning. In M. M. T. Rodrigo et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 29th International Conference on Computers in Education. Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education.
- Cui, Z., Ng, O., Jong, M. S. Y., Weng, X., Cheung, A. (2021, September). Exploring middle school students’ in-moment engagement with online problem-based learning. The 25th Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education